Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Girlie Show

In the past five years, or so, I have gained a whole new appreciation for art and beauty. It has become both therapy and inspiration for me in my daily life. There have been several events that I can contribute....Trip to Europe, visiting MOMA in NYC, the natural beauty of San Francisco last spring, living among artists in Edgemere Park, and the Girlie Show.

I have never taken time to explore "my creative side." I just assumed that I really didn't have one....the most creative things I did was cook and take family pictures. (I also needlepoint, but I have only finished one of the 6 or 8 canvas' I have started.)

Today, I can say this has all changed...drastically. I spend several hours a day working on projects, thinking about future projects, and looking at other people's creative ventures looking for inspiration. It has also changed the way I parent. I spend time EVERYDAY working with Adam (my 21 month old) working on creative activities. Sometimes it is art...sometimes making up stories....sometimes just creative play with toys.

I dream of days when I can decorate my home in creative ventures of myself and my children. I have already begun, but there is still a way to go. I dream of days when Adam tells me that he is artistic and creative, because this is something I never thought of myself when I was a child.....and I thoroughly believe that all children are creative. I dream of days when I can take my children, Adam and Nathan, to visit MOMA, Europe, and yes, the Girlie Show.

I see art and beauty in a different way than I did 5 years ago. I see it as looking at life through God's eyes. After a Master's degree in Religion, I can say I have learned more about God and Faith by looking and creating art.

This is all what this blog is about.

Now, for my Girlie Show Plug...I learned about the Girlie Show from my neighbor, one of the shows producers. I volunteered a couple of years....last year I was too pregnant to go out in public in the Little T volunteers are required to wear. I have to say, the first time I went to the show, I had never seen anything like it...eclectic is the only way I can describe it. Now, as it continues to grow I am proud to have it in Oklahoma City. I am also proud to know one of the producers. Here is a short documentary that tells about the show...it is great, but does not do the show justice for how much fun and how inspiring it is.

1 comment:

Knitterista said...

Oh, you're so sweet...thanks for the kudos!