Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Celebrating Oklahoma's Centennial

I was born and raised in Oklahoma. While it is not the most glamorous place to live, there are many things my "great state" has to offer that I take for granted. I read a lot of blogs. (Sometimes I think it is my way of getting off the Great Plains.) I am always a little jealous of those who live in the mountains or near the ocean. One way or another, I am always interested to read about people's (and their children) adventures around home. I make a lot of jokes about being an Okie, but in lieu of the Centennial, I thought I would post some of Oklahoma's bright spots!

#1 POPS 66

Route 66 (a.k.a The Mother Road....how fitting) runs right through the heart of Oklahoma. Historic Route 66 was established in 1926 originally running from Chicago to Las Angeles (a total of 2,448 miles). Route 66 was a major pat of the migrants who went west and the travel supported the economies of the communities through which the road passed. US 66 was officially decommissioned in 1985 after it was decided the route was no longer relevant and had been replaced by the Interstate Highway System.

POPS 66 was built in Arcadia, OK. It is a gas station, convenient store, soda fountain, and landmark. It is a futuristic building filled with colorful sodas from all over. Out front is a 66 foot tall pop bottle that lights up at night. It is a sight to see. Even more impressive, my brother-in-law can claim this as his first construction job for which he was the primary manager. Go Devin! We were impressed.

No comments: