Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What is this Freegan about?

There is a lot of buzz about Freeganism lately.  I have a friend who sat on my front porch telling me what she knew about it.  Then, it was on Oprah.  This seems a little ironic to me, but whatever.  I don't know....can you separate consumerism and Oprah.....maybe, but not around her Favorite Things show.  
I have found a lot of satisfaction and pleasure....maybe even joy from keeping things fairly simple for my family.  I try to be thoughtful about what we eat and what we buy.  We try really hard to recycle and reuse.....as much as you can with two young children.  (I have to admit I really hate the massive number of paper towels we go through....any guesses?  I am not telling.)  This is not to mention the diapers.  
Thinking about all of this has made me realize that we could do more, even if it was just one day of the week where we really consider our consumption and waste.  

No comments: