Monday, April 7, 2008

Not Just Another Monday

Monday's are not my favorite days by any stretch of the imagination.  I always feel a little disjointed....well, maybe a lot disjointed.  Today was no exception.  I rushed around to get all of the little things done that I agreed to do over the weekend.  I kept tripping over my little guy who has learned to walk and loves to do so right under my feet.  It is one dirty diaper, "I'm Hungry", "don't look at me", and snotty nose after another.  

However, this is not the worst of it.....this, April 7th, is the last Monday I will be 29.  That's right, next Monday I will be the big 3-0.  Is this some kind of punishment for something I did in my past life.  Who has to turn 30 on a Monday?  

Now, I am not one to complain.  Generally my life is pretty great.  We have a quiet little life here in midtown OKC.  I have two of my 2.3 children.  I love my husband and have some wonderful and diverse friends.  What more could I ask for?  I just can't figure out why I am not super thin, in a bikini, hanging out at the Country Club pool without a care in the world like those 30 somethings I remember from growing up in Enid, America.

HA!  Someone was delusional and I am not sure it was just me.  The long and short of it is that is not what I want.  I want to contribute to the world, I want to encounter trials...isn't that what makes life worth living.  Well, not today.

So, in honor of my 30th here are some words from Andy Rooney.  Weird, I know, but I love his voice and his sarcasm.

Turning 30 by Andy Rooney

As I grow in age, I value women who are over 30 most of all.  Here are just a few reasons why:

A women over 30 will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, "What are you thinking?".  She doesn't care what you think.

If a women over 30 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do.  And, it's usually something more interesting.

A women over 30 knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants and from whom.  Few women past the age of 30 give a damn what you might think about her or what she is doing.

Women over 30 are dignified.  They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant.  Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

A women over 30 has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends.  A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn't trust the guy with other women.  Women over 30 couldn't care less if you're attracted to her friends because she knows her friends won't betray her.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a women over 30 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.

Ladies, I apologize for all those men who say, "Why by the cow when you can get the milk for free."  Here's an update for you.  Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why?  Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

I know.....a little tacky, but it's my birthday, right?




1 comment:

meredith said...

LOVED the wise words from andy rooney--so true! as a woman in her 30s, all i can say is revel in it--so far the 30s are even better than i could've hoped for. happy birthday next week:)